Tuesday, January 24, 2017

All Bet’s Are Off


What’s the best thing you’ve ever won on a bet? My answer? Six dollars in an Oscar night poll and boy did I feel lucky. That’s right, I’m a terrible gambler. I never want to roll the dice even if I’m 99% sure I know the name of that guy in that movie that everyone else is determined is wrong. But there’s always the chance that the 1% will come back to bite you. After all, there’s got to be something in it for both sides to take a risk on.

In “The Billionaire’s Bet” my characters are far more willing to dive in than I am. Though for them, the rewards are far greater than a couple of dollars for correctly predicting Best Picture. Hailey stands the chance to win man of her dreams and Caleb is more than willing to gamble on his shot at the perfect revenge. But neither is prepared for the consequences one bet has on both their lives.

While I still maintain a handful of change is as steep as I want my betting career to go, there’s no denying the rush of victory when you win your gamble. For the characters in this novel, however, winning the bet might make losers out of both of them.

The Billionaire’s Bet 

Hailey Mitchel wants one thing. Her boss. The only problem is he’s never looked at her as more than a loyal employee. At least, not until his charming business rival, Caleb, drops into her life with an offer she can’t refuse. He’s willing to bet he can make her fall in love with him in a month, and if he’s wrong, he’ll help her find the keys to her boss’s heart.

Caleb Langston wants one thing. Revenge. Hailey is his ticket to finally evening the score with his old adversary. There’s just one problem. The more time he spends with her, the less he cares about his grand plans for payback. But love is always a gamble, and soon he’ll have to choose between his past and his future. And pray Hailey never discovers the secret he’s been hiding from her.



Excerpt

Hailey trailed after him as they left the elegant restaurant and stepped onto the quiet street outside. Looked like she’d managed to survive her first date with her devil. And it hadn’t been very hard at all.
That should be more of a concern, she scolded herself. Don’t enjoy spending time with Caleb.
Nothing good could come of letting her guard down around the man.
“Can I drive you home?” he asked.
She shook her head. “I’m not that far, so don’t worry about it. Thank you for dinner. It really was good.”
“My pleasure.”
She glanced up at him, raising a hand to her hat to keep it on her head, to find his dark eyes boring into hers.
“A date with me wasn’t so bad, was it?”
“Not at all,” she said, taking a step back.
He followed, crowding into her space. “This month will be far more entertaining than you believe. I promise.”
She swallowed hard. “I’m sure it will.”
His eyes flickered to her lips, and her breath caught in her chest.
“It wouldn’t be a first date without a good-night kiss, now would it?” He leaned down.
For a split second she almost stood still. A tiny flicker of interest snaked through her. A voice she tried to ignore whispered, what if.
What the hell are you thinking, Mitchel?
When his mouth came down toward hers she cast up a protecting hand.
Caleb’s eyes popped open when his lips made contact with her palm.
She stared at him, wide-eyed, and waited for the annoyance she was sure he’d express.
Instead, he stood frozen for a moment before doubling over with laughter.
“Only you,” he said, between chuckles. “I don’t think I’ve ever met a woman quite like you.”
“Just because I don’t want to kiss you?” she huffed.
Still chuckling, he straightened. “Sweetheart, you want to kiss me.” He took her hand and raised it. Locking eyes with hers, he turned her hand palm-up and pressed his lips against the sensitive skin. “And I look forward to convincing you of that fact.”

Author Bio:
Victoria Davies’s passion for writing started young. Luckily she had a family who encouraged believing in magic and embracing imagination. From stories quickly scribbled in diaries, her love of storytelling developed. Since then her characters may have evolved and her plots may have grown decidedly more steamy but she never lost her love of the written word. Writing is not only a way to silence the wonderful voices in her head, but it also allows her to share her passions with her readers.

Author links:
Author Website: www.victoriadavies.ca
Author Twitter: @VictoriaDaviesR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for the JCR newsletter!